~my blessed life~

Friday, October 9, 2009

Teaching Moments

I am amazed at the simple daily activities in our home that lead to a greater understanding of our Heavenly Father's love for us. I have been realizing what people have been talking about when they say that children can teach us so much. Here are a few examples from the last few days.
~~~~~
After bath time the other night, Andrew, Toby, Tate and I were all playing around in our bedroom. Toby was pushing one of Tate's hard plastic toys on the floor, tripped and hurt his lip. He ran to me with a bloody mouth and I asked him through his tears if he needed mommy to kiss it. He said, "Otay, Mommy" and I offered to get him a popsicle from the kitchen. He said, "No thanks." (which impressed me that he still had manners even though he was hurt.) I then told him that he could pick any color he wanted and he thought about it and decided a popsicle wasn't such a bad idea. So, I walked out of the room first, then Andrew holding Tate and lastly...Toby. He pushed Andrew and said, "Get out of my way, dude" (there goes the manners) and when we arrived in the kitchen I accidentally bumped Toby and he hit his head on the counter. Through his tears and frustration, he said "OH NO, NOT AGAIN" as he now was holding his lip AND his head. Hiding our laughter, I thought how many times in our lives do we think "OH NO, NOT AGAIN!" Life can come at us with such force and continue to pound us until we think we cannot handle anymore. There's always something else, another crisis, another problem that we have to deal with. But if we endure, there is inevitably a popsicle waiting to comfort us after the hurt. The Lord wants us to come to Him and tell Him about our bumps and bruises. He understands through his infinite Atonement. Let's live for that popsicle, that comfort at the end or during our trials. It has ALWAYS comforted me.
~~~~~
Another lesson that I internalized recently had to do with a simple answer. Yesterday, Toby wanted to play "church" in his room. So we set up a few chairs in row and placed stuffed animals on them. We sang a song, had a prayer and then continued with a lesson about Jesus Christ. We talked awhile about different attributes of our Savior and a few fun facts that made Toby smile. But later on in the day, I was talking to my mom on the phone and I recounted the fun Toby and I had. He walked in the room and I asked him who is Jesus Christ. Without hesitation, he said a simple answer...."My friend." I wondered to myself if I would have answered so perfectly if that question was posed to me?
~~~~~
These moments fill my soul with happiness and gratitude for the opportunity to be taught by my boys. Such giants and they don't even realize it yet. Thanks, Toby, for helping your mommy be a better person. She sure could use it!

5 comments:

Jeremy said...

I love this! so true in every way

The Katzbox said...

This was a beautiful post, honey. Out of the mouths of babes, it's true, but it takes a wise momma to be there to hear it, and learn from it, and to share it with the rest of us. Love you sweetie. Thanks for posting this.

Diane said...

These experiences were so fun to talk about on the phone, I loved our conversation that night. How fun to get on and read about them again! I love you...and your "teachers". Yes, children teach us so much, and it never ends. Motherhood is the absolute best teacher. LOVE YOU!!!

Diane said...

ok...so I just read this again. You caught it soooo well. Beautiful words, honey. And I absolutely loved the sentence, "Such giants and they don't even know it yet". so true.

Perhaps also true for each one of us, whispered by our loving Heavenly Father.

Marsha Elaine Allen said...

It's been a while since I have looked at blogs. Wish I would up date mine. But you ALWAYS have such a way with words. I wish Ethan would want to play church. Enjoy those days I remember some from my kids. I wish they could stay that way forever. He is so funny. Can he come back for another visit?