You know when you grow up doing something and you just assume that everyone else does the same thing? Well, it occured to me this year that not everyone has the same traditions that we have. My parents LOVED the holidays, especially celebrating with friends. New Year's Eve was no exception. We would ALWAYS have 2 types of fondue. Oil to dip meat in and cheese fondue with yummy bread. We would play games, mostly with the Bowmans. (Shout-out!) Mom and Dad always had us toast at midnight with sparkling grape juice and then our FAVORITE part of the night.... banging pots and pans together on our porch at midnight! Doesn't everyone do this? Apparently not. My girlfriend, Heather, and I have an ongoing teasing dialog regarding Yankee vs. Southern ways. I can't believe some of the interesting activities, sayings and other customs that she comes up with. It makes me laugh and I love to tease her about her "Dixie" slang. However, when I told her of our pots and pans ritual, she said. "And you think I am redneck?":) So this year, Andrew and I made Toby stay up till midnight. He wanted to sleep so badly, but I kept poking him to keep him up. Nice mom I am, huh? The three of us then toasted at midnight with our sparkling grape juice, Andrew and I with champagne flutes and Toby with his CARS sippy cup. We went out on the porch and the tradition lived on! Pots and Pans, baby!!!!!!! He had so much fun but his mom might have had the MOST fun.
caught my eye + deals 8.21.26
3 weeks ago









4 comments:
NOW you tell me such a great idea!
Come over next year, Deb, and do it with us!
You are so "redneck". I will have to stay awake next year to take pictures of the crazy neighbors banging pots and pans...Yee-Haw!
Awww. . . New Year's with Bowmans. . . some of my best memories! I just can't believe how late our parents stayed up! I don't know how they did, or how they functioned the next day. I haven't made it until midnight for 10 years now. . . . pathetic!
Post a Comment