~my blessed life~

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

First Day of School

Wow! Has this day really come? Toby going to Pre-K? Why has time slipped by so fast? I think of the first day I met him, entering the world at a whopping 4 pounds 15 ounces. I couldn't believe that Andrew and I had been blessed with such a gift. All my boys are the light of my life and are very special for different reasons. But Toby made me a mommy and having that title has been the reason I live. Well, also for "The Bachelor/Bachelorette" but that's another post.

He has been ready for this day for months now; so excited to meet his teacher and new friends. Getting his things around for the first day was exciting but a strange pain in my heart too was felt. As I was laying out his clothes, backpack, packing his lunch etc... he said from the living room, "Mom, come here." I went to him as he stretched out his arms and he said "Give me a hug, Mom. Thanks for getting me ready for school." Are you kidding me? As if my heart wasn't aching enough already. :) Andrew then gave Toby a "Father's Blessing" (a special prayer just for Toby) that included words of comfort and advice. He told Toby to be an example to his friends and always be honest. He blessed him that his fears, if he was scared, would be calmed and that mommy would always be there at the end of the day. I just knew that my heart was going to explode right then and there.

When I woke him up in the morning by turning on his light, he said "Mom, please turn the sun off. It's too bright." I chuckled as he asked me to get his sunglasses for him. He wore them as he ate breakfast and got ready. I have to say that getting Tate, Troy AND Toby out the door by 7:15 was a huge feat for me and I was proud of myself. I snapped a few pictures and Tate was not happy to be up before 7:00, let me tell ya!

We walked into the school, with my big double stroller in a hallway FULL of students, teachers and parents. Toby acted like he owned the place, walking right into his classroom. He just smiled and said "Bye Mom." I left in a hurry trying to make it through the crowd before I lost it. I succeeded and the tears flowed as soon as I got in the car. I sat there and looked at my tear soaked face in the rear view mirror and told myself to stop crying...I am such a sap! I took Tate and Troy to the bank and then the grocery store and was home before 9:30. That NEVER happens. I was thrilled at the possibilities of having a little time to myself, especially when both the boys took a nap at the same time. I then packed them up to grab my big boy at school. We waited for him in the big front hallway and when he rounded the corner, I had never seen such a grin on my Toby. When we embraced, he looked at me and said "Mom, can I ride the bus tomorrow?" Am I already cramping his style? I told him that I loved to pick him up but we would talk about it when we got home. I took him to the grocery store and said he could pick out ANYTHING he wanted for dinner. He chose mac and cheese, green beans, french fries and chicken. I then let him pick out a huge balloon...Thomas the Train, of course. I then got him a celebratory strawberry milkshake @ McDonalds and we laughed all the way home, talking about his exciting day.

7 comments:

Diane said...

This is such a sweet, tender, wonderful post. I love my Toby. And my Michelle. And Andrew, and Tate and Troy. My heart lives in several states.
Seems like yesterday I was going through the same thing.
Enjoy the ride, Michelle. And yes, Mom is always there at the end of the day. (your mom, too)
Yay for Toby!
(the pictures are treasures)

Kristy said...

What a beautiful day. You will always, always remember this day. You are such a good mom, Michelle. I always knew you would be. So fun to read about your life. I canNOT believe he is already old enough to go to school. That is crazy. How is time just slipping away so fast?! Makes you want to really live in the moment and treasure each and ever day.

PS. The Bachelor/Bachelorette is also a reason I live, too. haha! I have lots to comment on when you do that post. ;)

The Allred Family said...

how precious. you did a really good job of making that special for him. He looks adorable. If I had to get all three kids out the door by 7:15 and the alternative would be for Toby to ride the bus and the two babies could stay in bed with the slight off-chance that I could actually crawl in bed after he leaves, he would SOOOO be riding the bus. :) You are such a good mommy!

Emmy said...

WOW! What a cute day!
Clark starts preschool next week and as hard as that will be for me, the fact that Mae goes to first grade is really breaking me up! ALL DAY!? Someone's going to have my baby ALL DAY!? Oh, shoot. . .here come the tears. Drat. Wish me luck.

Anonymous said...

There is no way a Grandma should ever miss the first day of school of a wonderful fellow like Toby. Both of his G-ma's should be there.I sure wanted to see my "Sweetie Pie" Love you tons. G-Ma

Elizabeth. said...

okay - crying! stop it! :) don't blink - i remember the exact outfit Michael wore to the first day of preschool - power ranger backback and all (he didn't even know what those were! lol) And Kindergarten, the backpack was Mickey - with his plaid shorts. He's 19 now ... don't blink. Love you guys! Hug those boys for me xoxoxoxox - Beth.

Elizabeth. said...

p.s. you did an AMAZING job, mom! :)