~my blessed life~

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Speech Therapy

I have had a gut feeling for a while now that Toby maybe needed a little extra phonic attention. But I kept hearing, "Oh, he is just a boy and it takes longer...", "He is your 1st born so he doesn't have older siblings to listen to...", "He'll talk when he is ready..." etc...

I can understand quite a few words that he says but I spoke with his Pediatrician (who has been trying to get me to agree to an evaluation for about a year now) and we decided it was time.

So, last Monday I took Toby to the Rehabilitation Division of our local hospital and he met with a Pediatric Speech Therapist named Nicole. After a few tests, it was clear that Toby has a hard time forming consonants especially at the beginning of his words. I never could really pin-point the issue myself so I was grateful for some guidance. Nicole said that she wasn't concerned about him developmentally just strictly phonically. We agreed to 2 times per week for 6 months and then re-evaluate him.

I know this doesn't seem like such a big deal since there are so many other issues we could be dealing with, but I can't help but feeling a slight tinge of failure. I'm kind-of a laid back mom and I guess I didn't want to admit that he needed a little extra boost. I thought the books we were reading and the games that we played were sufficent. But after meeting with Nicole, there is a whole world of teaching techniques that I was completely oblivious to. I want Toby to feel confident in his communications with others and not let that hinder his development.

So, wish us luck in the next 6 months and hopefully we will see Toby grow leaps and bounds!

7 comments:

It's me, Jenny! said...

Michelle, I think you're a great mom to do that for Toby. I kind of wish my folks in the good 'ole days were more aware of what was avaialble to me. It wasn't until I was in elementary school that an intervention was made on my behalf for my speech delay. I can't remember how long I had to have assistance but I do remember some of the techniques I was taught...and I still use them to this day! I credit my speech therpy sessions to wiping out my New Hampshire accent...(But it sneaks back in when I'm really tired)

Jessica said...

T-O-B-Y... Toby!! He is such a sweetie and I'm glad that he has you for a mom. He's already come so far in the last few months. With the added help, he'll be learning new things at lightning speed! : )

meg said...

You're such a good mom, 'Chelle. I really look up to you and Jess. Give Toby a big hug for me!

zeitersouth said...

We took Cole there, remember? He really enjoyed it and I could see such a difference in his speech within a month. Hope you guys are doing good:)

Diane said...

Toby LOVES learning and is such a smart little guy. You are a super mom and you and him both will be so excited as you get going, I bet. You've done terrific....and now you will have some additional tools to help him along. I'm so glad you took him. Good for you, sweetie!!
Yes, Jessie...I LOVE how he does that, with such a smile in his voice....T-O-B-Y - - - TOBY!!!

dubby said...

Bryan never babbled and didn't start talking until 3 1/2. Then he was just a garble. Speech pathologists are wonderful, spoiled him rotten, gave him one on one attention he craved, and he hated to graduate. He loved the games. By kindergarten, nobody could tell the difference.

Laurie said...

I agree with Meggie. We really do look up to you and Jess. Toby is such a smart boy. You truly are a wonderful Mom! And when I have kids I cant wait to have my sisters help me!! Love ya Toby!